Hello all! Hope your week is going well! Two posts in one week, back to the old days of being on top of things!
While the chill of autumn begins to creep into the air, it calls for a warm, hearty breakfast. This oatmeal has all the familiar flavors of fall with pecans and apples, along with some added protein from the quinoa. The next time the morning chill has you feeling like your bed and covers are your safest space, try this simple recipe to get you out of bed while still keeping your body warm!
- One Apple (I used Fuji, but any of your favorite kind of apple would work)
- Handful of Pecans
- 1/4 cup of Quinoa
- 1/2 cup of Oats
- Brown Sugar or Agave Syrup if desired
- Cook Quinoa according to package. Don’t forget to rinse quinoa first, otherwise it may have a bitter taste.
- While that’s going, cut up apple into small chunks and break up a few handfuls of pecans.
- Throw pecans and apple chunks into a pan on low to medium heat. Sprinkle in cinnamon.
- Continuously toss in pan to avoid burning.
- For added sweetness, toss in a little brown sugar or agave syrup. (I’m not a big fan on super sweet breakfasts, so I usually leave this out).
- Slow cook the apple mixture for about 10 minutes, until browned with desired texture (aka cook longer for softer apple chunks, less time if you want a bit more crunch).
- When quinoa is done (usually after about 10 minutes), remove from heat and cook oatmeal to package. (I usually buy the quick oats that only take a minute, so timing everything is a lot easier with a tiny stove.)
- After oatmeal is done, add quinoa and apple mixture, and mix.
- Enjoy 🙂