Within the first couple years of being vegan, I quickly realized that I didn’t have to give up all of my favorite foods and that yes, vegan can still mean great taste! Now, these are also mostly junk food, but hey you gotta give in to temptation every once and awhile! Here are five foods that you might find surprising to know are vegan!
1. Oreos. When I first learned that Oreos were actually vegan (yes, every flavor they have as well), it RUINED me….in the best possible way. I pigged out. I tried each and every Oreo because, well, why not? I went a long time thinking they were forbidden and evil, and discovering the opposite to be true made me want all of them. I will lament that now I can only eat so many Oreos in a sitting.
2. Sweet Chili Doritos. Now, back in my pre-vegan days I had a bit of an obsession with Cool Ranch Doritos, but who hasn’t? Making the switch to vegan meant to me losing touch with all these lovely Doritos. But then I found out that one of the Doritos flavors is actually vegan! The Sweet Chili (Purple) Doritos are completely vegan, and are actually pretty tasty. You can get your bold Doritos flavor without the animal harm!
3. Junior Mints. Yes, this movie-theater treat is completely vegan! No milk in the chocolate at all, nor the minty filling. Next time you are watching a flick, reach for a box of these knowing that no animals were harmed in the making of this delicious treat.
4. Bacon Bits. Usually of the Betty Crocker or Mccormick brand and called Baco’s, imitation bacon bits are found in grocery stores everywhere as a salad topping. Not marketed as such, these fake bacon bits are actually vegan! And they taste just like real bacon. I know when I still ate meat (back in the olden days) I loved bacon bits, and am actually really pleased to know they are vegan.
5. Hershey Chocolate Syrup. Need I say more? Turn your favorite dairy alternative milk into chocolate milk! Also great for putting on your coconut milk ice cream (or other dairy alternative ice cream).
Now these top five are not very healthy options, but you gotta indulge every now and then, right? I hope knowing these help you as much as it helped me and my snack cravings.
Which ones of these were you surprised by? What other foods were you surprised to find out were vegan? Please leave a comment below!