Now that it’s December, it’s officially the holiday season! I will give fair warning to those who either do not celebrate Christmas or any holidays or for those who do not enjoy the holiday season; most of my December “obsessions” will most likely have to do with the holiday season.
Having that said, since the 1st I have been listening to Christmas music almost non stop; in the car, while doing my makeup, even when just messing around on the internet. This year there has been one CD in particular that I have been putting on repeat; That’s Christmas to Me by Pentatonix.
You may have heard of Pentatonix in the past: They are a completely a cappella vocal group that won the competition show “The Sing Off”. I have been obsessed with them ever since I saw their Evolution of Music video on Youtube. It’s amazing the things they can do with their voices and their Christmas album is no exception. They have all the usual Christmas favorites, plus a couple extra originals. I love every song on the album, but if I had to choose a top three they’d be:
- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy – it has no lyrics, which sounds a bit odd until you listen to it. I especially like how parts of it they go hard with it, giving this age old song an exciting and edgy new feel.
- Silent Night – Another classic, this song definitely shows off their amazing and strong vocals. If you don’t have a chance to get the album, at least go check out their video for this on their YouTube channel. The video is completely live and in an old church with perfect acoustics. The performance is so raw and strong it’s incredible.
- That’s Christmas to Me – This is one of their originals and when you listen to it, it fits along with all the great classic Christmas songs. It has feel good lyrics and is so jolly that I could listen to just this song on repeat and feel the holiday spirit all day.
If you are in the mood for Christmas music, I definitely recommend giving Pentatonix’s Christmas album a try. Even if you’re not sure, at least check out their channel; they have a few of their Christmas songs there and you can see if you like it for yourself before going out and getting the CD.
Now obviously I have other favorite Christmas songs that get me into the holiday spirit and I’ll share a few of those as well:
- Christmas Eve/ Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Wizards in Winter by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Opera of the Bells by Destiny’s Child
- Last Christmas by Wham!
- Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! by Frank Sinatra
- Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays by N*Sync
- Do You Hear What I Hear? by Mary J. Blige and Jessie J
There are many other great Christmas and holiday songs out there and I know there’s many I’ve forgotten. Feel free to share some of your favorites in the comments!